As of this day (June 29th), our county in Idaho is fortunate enough to remain in "stage 4", the final stage, of our corona recovery... We are monitoring the situation carefully on a daily basis and will be sure to pass on important news as we hear of it.
We have ordered medals, shirts, non-perishable food... And have also begun the long and rigorous process of trail-clearing... So we are very much committed to pushing forward as well as taking steps to ensure the safety of all participants.
We realize that everybody has a different comfort level, as well as different concerns during this time of uncertainty. The Palisades Ultra is committed to following state, county, and CDC guidelines, and to protect those with concerns, all while providing a much-needed venue for adventure and camaraderie.
Below are a few things we are doing to preserve participant safety and public image of our race as well as the image of the ultra-running community (these are highlights from our updated Covid-19 safety plan which will be redistributed next week):
1. We have purchased face coverings for all volunteers and racers... These 'buff' style keepsakes are a killer design, are currently in production, and will be handed out during packet pickup! All involved will be asked to wear these at times when social distancing is not possible
2. Handwashing stations have been secured and will be on-site in several locations near the start/finish, as well as at our largest aid station (N. Indian Creek). Everyone should wash hands thoroughly and frequently!
3. Revised aid station policies have been enacted that will limit unnecessary contact at aid stations. All stations will have single-serve foods and use gloves and hand sanitizer available.
4. NEW START TIME for the 1/2 marathon:
While we LOVE our combined 50k/13.1 mile start time... We have decided to lessen the crowding at the start/finish by pushing the 1/2 marathon start time to 8:00 am. The 50k will begin as scheduled at 7:00 am.
5. NO PRE-RACE DINNER. Please plan to bring your own pre-race foods
6. NO PRE-RACE MEETINGS for any races except for the 100 milers. All other race-meetings will be pre-recorded and sent out in advance of the race! Your questions should be emailed 1 week in advance if possible (since we are quite busy and often out of cell-service during race-week). Packet pickup will still be held for the 50 miler/50k/13.1 races on Friday night. And we will still host the kids race for those who are interested!
7. POST-RACE DINNER will be 'to-go' style... We are working on a menu that will be appetizing and include a variety of choices-- Also one that will allow for single-servings to be grabbed quickly and eaten away from those finishing.
We hope that these changes will help everyone feel safe while still having an INCREDIBLE time enjoying the mountains!
Stay safe and we will see you soon,
Palisades Ultra Trail Series
PS: Remember that the deadline for a change of distance is July 4th-- Shoot us an email if you need to drop down! Also, as expected, we've had a surge in registrations these last couple weeks... If you have any friends still 'on the fence' about racing... This Saturday is the deadline for new runners to register!